Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mike Maves Talks More Hogan and Moe

Here's a fireside chat Mike Maves (sevam1) had about Moe Norman and Ben Hogan that I thought was excellent.



I highly suggest getting Maves' book when it comes out in 2009. You can always check up on it coming out at his blog http://sevam1.blogspot.com

While I really enjoy The Golfing Machine instructors, I feel that *some* of them get too involved with thinking about the hands and keeping the flat left wrist (which is important) and don't focus enough on the pivot. Brian Manzella is a perfect exception as he goes into detail in his videos of the correct way to pivot. But while it's important to keep that left wrist flat, you can't do it if you're not pivoting correctly, IMO. If you're not pivoting, you're going to be casting and/or flipping.

The only part I disagree with Maves on here is Hogan's flexibility. I understand that the footage Maves is talking about (http://3jack.blogspot.com/2008/11/rare-ben-hogan-footage.html) has Hogan still striping the hell out of the ball. But I feel that even in his late 60's Hogan had phenomenal flexibility...probably more flexible than a lot of good golfers in their 30's and even 20's. But other than that, I really feel Mike is right on track with his thoughts on the golf swing and his videos and book are definitely worth taking in.




3JACK

No comments: